トップタブ(ページ群)

2011年3月13日

About the earthquake

First, I really appreciate all your concerns regarding series of earthquakes in Japan.

It happened 3 days ago (Mar.11th) in the afternoon, suddenly it started to shake. Although we're all used to earthquakes, this time I thought it was totally different. In Tokyo, it was not a strong one (because I could stand up and walk), but it lasted very long. I went out on the street and saw the electricity poles swinging roughly.

Soon after, we had series of similar earthquakes. I was with my mother, we turned on TV, and found out that the northern pacific coast of Japan was about to be devoured by tsunami. We saw the live images from helicopters. The houses, cars, roads, and fields, are all washed away right in front of our eyes.

I tried to call my father in the office, but phones were all out due to emergency. Then all the metros and trains are suspended. All the flights were cancelled too. And in the meantime, we had aftershocks time to time.

It was fortunate at least in Tokyo, we could use electricity and Internet. I received Skype call from Europe and Russia. Sometimes it's easier to communicate foreign countries than calling my own father in Tokyo!
(He came back home late in the midnight)

Besides tsunami, we had another serious problem with nuclear power plant 250km north from Tokyo. They immediately stopped the nuclear reactor, but all the water cooling systems were down. On the next day, one of the reactor's building exploded due to excessive hydrogen, which was really awful... Thank God the metal container inside was intact at that moment.

Regarding all these, I must admit that we're in difficult situation. But all the people are trying their best, including international support from all over the world. We've received lots of warm messages which is encouraging us a lot.

Thank you so much for your prayers.

にほんブログ村 ひとりごとへにほんブログ村 大陸横断・大陸縦断へ